Moving is listed as one of the top ranking stressful life events. If you are selling your home to move, it can certainly contribute to your stress levels. Use the steps below to plan, prepare and make selling your home as smooth as possible.
- Hire a Realtor. A seasoned Realtor will bring a wealth of experience to the table since they’ve handled many and varied transactions. Your home with get more exposure listing with a Realtor than you can ever hope to give it by selling yourself. Savvy buyers work with Realtors. Why wouldn’t they? It saves them time and money. Realtors will be showing qualified buyers homes that are listed since they will have all the property details at their finger tips.
- Pre-listing Home Inspection and WDO Inspection. Most homes are sold with the buyer having a home inspection and WDO (Wood Destroying Organism) inspection done. Even if a home is sold “as-is” it may be subject to a home inspection so the buyer will know what they are getting into. One way to get ahead of this situation is to have inspections done so you can take care of deferred maintenance and any necessary repairs before the home goes on the market.
- Price it right. Current data on homes that have sold in close proximity to yours determine your homes market value. Over priced homes sit on the market. They don’t get shown much. It is essentially a waste time to put a house on the market with an inflated asking price and can be very stressful for everyone involved.
- Start packing early. You’re moving so why not start packing up, donating and throwing away anything you can truly live without for the next few months? This will give you a big head start on moving and help your home show better with less clutter. Rent a storage space for the boxes. A second option is to put boxes in the garage but a storage space is preferable. Which leads us to…
- Set the stage. Make your home inviting to the potential buyer. Allow them to see themselves living there. The three D’s of home staging are…
Remove as much as possible in the way of personal items. This may include excess furniture. The object is to create open/ large rooms. Less is more!
This goes beyond general cleaning. Clean windows, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, carpets, etc. Make sure any pet odors or strong cooking odors are removed.
Remove personal photos, collections, and memorabilia. Paint home in a warm neutral color, preferably same color throughout the entire home.
- Easy showings. The easier you can make your home available to show, the more showings it will get. Make the best effort you can to make your home accessible with as little notice as possible and without you present when it’s shown.
Giving the process some thought, as well as preparing for it, will go a long way in the stress-free selling of your home. Follow the six steps to make selling your home a breeze!